They say you don’t choose the night shift. The night shift chooses you. For the last three years, I’ve been the guy who restocks the vending machines in the financial district. It’s a lonely, quiet job. You walk through these glass-and-steel cathedrals when they’re empty, when the only light is the cold blue of emergency exit signs and the hum of a server room. You learn the secrets of a building. You know which floor has the janitor who sings opera, and which executive keeps a photo of his dog on his desk.
Tonight felt different. There was a weight in the air, that specific kind of silence that comes before a storm. My route was standard: Building 12 – the high-rise on Pine Street. I rolled my dolly through the revolving door, the rubber wheels squeaking on the polished marble. The lobby was vast, dark, and smelled of floor wax and stale coffee.
My job is simple. Open the machine, slide the coils forward, restock the candy bars and chips, count the change. It’s a meditation. You get into a rhythm. Click. Slide. Thump. Click. Slide. Thump. But tonight, the machine on the 14th floor was jammed. Not a product jam—a money jam. The bill acceptor was blinking a frantic red light, and the screen displayed an error code I’d never seen before: “ERROR 404 – SERVICE REQUIRED.”
I sighed. I hate calling dispatch. They always give you a hard time. But I had no choice. I dialed the supervisor, a guy named Frank who sounds like he smokes gravel. “Frank, it’s Leo. Machine 14-Bravo is down. Error 404.”
There was a long pause. “404? You sure?”
“Yeah. Blinking red. I can’t clear it.”
“Alright. Don’t touch it. I gotta send a specialist. Just finish the rest of your route and leave that one.”
“Copy that.” I hung up, feeling a strange itch of curiosity. I’d seen a hundred error codes, but never a 404. It felt… personal. Like the machine was telling me the product didn’t exist.
I moved on to the 16th floor. That’s where the trading floor used to be. Now it’s just empty desks and dead monitors. The atmosphere was heavy. I started restocking the machine there, but my mind kept wandering back to that strange error. I thought about the internet, about how when a page is gone, you get a 404. A ghost in the machine.
I finished the 16th floor and took the freight elevator down to the lobby to grab a bottle of water from my cooler. As I passed the security desk, the guard, a guy named Marcus, was scrolling on his phone. “Quiet night, Leo?”
“Quiet as a tomb, Marcus. Except for a glitchy machine on 14.”
He grunted. “That floor gives me the creeps. Heard a rumor the old trading floor had a server meltdown years ago. Data just vanished. Poof.”
That’s when it happened. The lights flickered. Not a brownout, but a deliberate, slow dimming, like the building itself was taking a deep breath. The emergency exit signs went dark for three seconds. Then, everything came back.
Marcus looked up, his eyes wide. “Did you feel that?”
“I felt it.” My skin was crawling. It wasn’t fear. It was… anticipation. Like something was about to be revealed.
I decided to go back up. Not to fix the machine—I’m not a tech—but to just look at it. The freight elevator hummed as it climbed. When the doors opened on the 14th floor, the hallway was dark. The motion-sensor lights didn’t turn on. I stood there, my heart pounding in my ears. The only light came from the vending machine itself.
It was glowing. The screen wasn’t showing the error code anymore. Instead, it was displaying a single, scrolling line of text: “DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AGAIN?”
I blinked. That wasn't a standard software message. This machine sold granola bars and bottled water. It wasn't a gaming terminal. But I was drawn to it. I walked closer. The touchscreen was warm. I reached out and my finger hovered over the screen.
I felt a strange pull. The day had been long. The job was lonely. I was tired of the monotony. I needed a distraction, a little bit of a thrill to break the endless cycle of clicking and sliding. I thought about how easy it was to get lost in a simple game, how a few minutes of a random draw could change your mood. I remembered the old arcade at the mall when I was a kid, the pure joy of the lights and sounds.
And in that moment, I made a choice. It wasn’t about the machine. It was about the space between the ticks of the clock. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and I tapped the screen. It redirected immediately to a web browser. It felt as natural as breathing. I was just following a whim, a digital thread. The address was short, simple, almost mocking in its simplicity best slots
free-slots.fun/
The screen lit up with a classic slot machine interface. Cherries. Bells. Lucky sevens. It was retro, simple, and utterly addictive. I spun the reels, just once. They clicked and whirred, a sound that echoed in the empty hallway. I didn't win. I didn't lose. But the act of playing, of taking a risk on a broken machine in a dead building, felt electric. It was a tiny rebellion against the quiet.
The lights flickered again, and then the screen went black. The machine was dead. The spell was broken. I stepped back, my hands trembling slightly.
I finished my route in a daze. When I got back to the depot at 6 AM, Frank was waiting for me. "Hey, Leo. The specialist went to get that 14-Bravo machine. He said it was completely dead. No power, no error log. Nothing. You sure you saw a 404?"
"I'm sure," I said.
He didn't believe me. He thought I was just trying to get out of work. But I know what I saw. I know what I did. The night shift doesn't just choose you. Sometimes, it shows you a door to a different reality. A door that looks like a vending machine and leads to a place where the only rule is to push the button. I didn't win anything that night. But I felt alive. And sometimes, that's the biggest jackpot of all. I don't plan on going back to that floor. But I can't stop thinking about that glowing screen. Some games you play. Some games play you. And a 404 error isn't always a dead end. Sometimes, it's a beginning.